Monday, July 31, 2006

living large in the marquis


hertz somehow stuck me with a grand marquis as my rental for this week in st. louis. i usually get a ford taurus or some ford SUV. i get off the plane, already running late for my meeting, and had to just take the car they assigned me and get on the road. i didn't realize until i arrived at my appointment, how foolishly large this car is. the marquis' butt stuck out about 4 ft. past the parking space. i can barely see over the dashboard and i'm 6'3".

it's so embarassing driving around in this beast mobile. i feel like people think i either a) just dropped my grandpa off at the doctor and i'm running some errands for him or b) i'm a drug dealer.

i went to whole foods to get a salad for dinner and tried to swing out of my parking spot and into the road. i couldn't quite make the radius so i had to do a 3 point turn which resulted in 2 cars waiting for me to finish my elaborate maneuver. one of the drivers who had to queue for me was a skinny blonde in a saab who snarled and shook her head in disgust as i passed by. i wanted to scream at her: THIS IS NOT REALLY ME! I'M ONE OF YOU, I'M JUST TRAPPED IN THIS CAR FOR A WEEK AGAINST MY WILL!

i really hope i get a taurus next week.

No comments: